Don't Hug Doug : (He Doesn't Like It)

Don't Hug Doug : (He Doesn't Like It)

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

In rapid-fire parallel sentences, characters suggest situations in which Doug might like a hug (“hello hugs,” “goodbye hugs,” “game-winning home run hugs,” and “dropped ice cream cone hugs” round out one paneled page) before Doug shuts each of them down firmly with a friendly smile and a negatory response. This is because hugs can be so comforting to one person while they are incredibly awkward to others. This upbeat, second person–perspective narrative introduces readers to Doug, a smiling child with dark hair, light brown skin, and round red glasses, who does not like hugs—the lone exception being a “JUST RIGHT/ bedtime hug /from his mom. LouAnn, a stout black bear, is frying doughnuts for one last pre-hibernation meal, and she’s looking forward to eating them all by herself. There is a written response and activity sheet to help students learn ways to ensure every classmate feels included.

Carrie Finison: Don’t Hug Doug (And Don’t Label Him, Either) Carrie Finison: Don’t Hug Doug (And Don’t Label Him, Either)

You’ll be able to come back to this lesson plan when you are ready to read it aloud with your students.If a person doesn’t like hugs, and is autistic, for example, then that feels like an “acceptable” explanation. It’s a concept book about consent that explains to the reader that some people like hugs, some people (like Doug) don’t — and that’s OK —and that the way to find out whether someone wants a hug is to ask. Since students are still learning about each other, it can be confusing that only some people like the same things. The good news is that the kid readers I’ve interacted with are very accepting of Doug and his preferences, and are eager to express their own hugging preferences, too. This book provides a great way to show students how important it is to ask someone if they want a hug or not!

Goodreads 2023 Monarch Award Nominees (20 books) - Goodreads

I believe those four words, “don’t take it personally” are at the heart of what makes acceptance of certain preferences and behaviors, such as dislike of hugging, difficult, and why I believe people sometimes seek out a label by way of explanation. But if a person doesn’t like hugs for…no particular reason, it’s somehow much more difficult for the would-be hugger to accept. Instead, we must learn to simply accept differences and preferences, accommodate for them, and move on. Teachers work hard to ensure students understand how the material taught in the classroom relates to life outside of school. When students develop relationships, they may not realize the different characteristics people have.Additionally, it includes an introduction to help prepare students and sets the purpose for the story. Our committees have been hard at work for the past year curating these lists and we are excited about them!

Don’t Hug Doug – Teachers | Books | Readers Don’t Hug Doug – Teachers | Books | Readers

Students need to understand what personal space is and the importance of respecting each person’s comfort level. I don’t want readers mentally diagnosing Doug every time they read the book, the same way we shouldn’t be mentally diagnosing the people around us based on their preferences and behaviors. Therefore, there are higher-level thinking questions and talking points to guide student discussion. But even more, I want Doug’s character to feel universal and to remind readers of what we have in common.But the truth is, MOST of the time, for MOST of the people we interact with, we’re not going to be privileged with the knowledge of their labels or diagnostic history. Whether someone is “a Doug” or not, I hope books like this can help us all let go of the need for explanations and labels, and make room for others’ preferences with the acceptance, empathy, and respect they deserve. A gently humorous picture book that kindly, effectively highlights the importance of asking others before initiating physical contact. In a board book that reads like a picture book, an unseen narrator offers advice for caring for an under-the-weather elephant.

Don’t Hug Doug Teaching Personal Space with Don’t Hug Doug

In drafting the story, it was important to me to let Doug be himself, without explanation or apology. Often, students do something and do not realize that everyone is unique and has different comfort levels. Don’t get me wrong, there is a place for labels, especially when they help people to get the specialized treatment or services they need within the education and healthcare systems.Each task card will help students understand the importance of respecting personal space with Don’t Hug Doug. Thankfully, teaching personal space with Don’t Hug Doug and the Read Aloud Activities creates the perfect way to learn such an important life skill. And I’m grateful when people share their labels and give us all a broader understanding of what it means to live with a particular diagnosis or condition. Students need to understand that some people need more space than others, and there is nothing wrong with that!

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop