The Sins of the Father (The Clifton Chronicles) (The Clifton Chronicles, 2)

£9.9
FREE Shipping

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

I know that people are generally advised to "write about what you know", but surely no-one can have failed to have groaned when a Jeffrey Archer protagonist wrote a prison diary. Nor when the same protagonist starts armed forces training. Nor when his first book sells well in North America, allowing a lucrative deal to be sealed for its UK distribution. Nor when a character becomes an MP. Nor when the plot moves to the House of Lords. It's as though Archer has taken Private Eye's Jeremy Longbow as inspiration rather than ridicule. A world of pretense, a “glass bubble” that eventually shatters and leaves everyone traumatized and outraged at the deception. The survivors will have to reconstruct their lives, trying to overcome the mental confusion that a revelation such as the one from this book carries. After reading For the Sins of my Father by Robert DeMeo I can say my views on the mafia and the lives these mobsters lived has been altered drastically. This book was filled with emotion suspense and above all I think it was a book of love. The genuine love Robert had for his father was truly something I admired about the book. the sins of father , has everything a Jeffrey Archer book has. right from the prison accounts which are a trademark ever since the author's brief stay in the prison to the war and political aspects which are found in almost all his books. There is also the 'unseen' romance like paths of glory and hell! EVERYTHING that you could ask for. Harry meanwhile writes a diary about his time in prison. When one of his fellow inmates, Max Lloyd, is released, he requests Harry to keep sending him diaries as he enjoys reading them a lot. Max publishes them in his own name. Emma reads the 'Diary of a Convict' and recognizes Harry's handiwork. She begins to try and meet him in prison but the warden says that Harry/Tom has been mysteriously transferred. Harry and Pat are recruited by the US army to cause mayhem behind enemy lines.

Overall, the primary theme in this installment is the complexity of family bonds- the good, the bad and the ugly. There are a few interesting juxtapositions and plenty of food for thought. Clifton Chronicles should have been a single book and not broken into five - this becomes much clearer with the Sins of the Father. More like any middle sections of even good stories, this book is meaningless for anyone who does not remember the details of events from Book 1. The story moves along but appears without any plot and certainly without any satisfactory end to any of the major intrigues.Not too badly written. Paints the Corby family as complete media tarts, and Schapelle as as much a victim of their greed for money and fame as of the drug syndicate whose shipment she was carrying. But there's no real evidence in the book that Schapelle knew she was carrying drugs - just the assumption that because her family was involved in drugs, she would have known. There are a few loose ends left tantalisingly dangling, so I suspect this isn't the last we've heard on this. I began reading this book a few days after having read its predecessor. Although it was enjoyable in parts, i must say that i didnt feel all those 'wow' moments I experienced in 'Only Time Will Tell.' I don't know how this author always provides an interesting, well-plotted story but I am thrilled to keep reading them. The book serves as a sequel to Only Time Will Tell, the first part of the Clifton Chronicles. It was followed by Best Kept Secret, published in March 2013.

Beaumont has always been an interesting character. His life has taken many paths over the years, but now he has reached retirement age and although he’s mellowed a bit, he has finally carved out a niche for himself as a private detective. That doesn’t mean his life is dull by any means. Turns out life has a few more surprises in store for Beaumont. These new developments will once again change the entire dynamic of his life. As Beaumont digests all that he has learned, the hunt for his client’s daughter leads him straight into a murder investigation. This case, as usual, is compelling, revealing the darker side of human nature. I have only listened to a few of this series, reading most of them. The narrator has been the same which I appreciate. Most of the story is in Beau's head space and he is in every bit of dialogue so it's great I enjoy the voice for him. I'm not sure about the female voices but they were rather limited, anyway. I was able to listen at my normal 1.5x speed. The sins of the father is one of those ambiguous titles which may fit more than one character. But the most sinful AND the most fruitful of them is Hugo Barrington. The way the book is written simplifies reading. Each section carries its own motivations and villains. The most enjoyable passages for yours truly were the Maysie Clifton and Hugo ones. Sins of the Fathers is the 24th book in the JP Beaumont series. Beau is retired from 3 jobs throughout the series but now working as a private investigator. He employs his usual clever analysis of the information and human nature to follow the truth. It's great to see him and his friends and family again. I suppose it wouldn't be necessary to read all the books but they are so wonderful I am glad I have read them all.

Bible Theasaurus

The story progresses steadily and mercilessly through his adolescence, reaching the apparent apex at the kid’s seventeenth birthday, when his father gets murdered. The reality becomes at this time of his life more fantastic than fiction. The book covers many topics regarding the life of the infamous Roy DeMeo and his “Murder Machine”, but most of all shows us that “Bad guys are not bad guys twenty-four hours a day” and that even bad guys have their own apparent set of rules: “My father taught me to have respect for old people” and to “always treat a woman with respect, for she is somebody’s daughter, mother, or sister.” The book starts off with a detailed description of prison life,something that happens in Archer's books quite frequently,since his own time in prison.And it is about a wrongfully convicted man,which Archer believes himself to be,when he was convicted. Archer remains a powerful narrator and linguistic sculptor, presenting the reader with a wonderful story that expands with each passing chapter. Renewing the layered narrative approach, the reader is treated not only to numerous plot lines through the eyes of various characters, but also a powerful addition to the central story with each section. The reader may bask in the exciting set of plots on which the novel continues to build. While the story has yet to really focus on a second (or third) generation, Archer had laid the groundwork for this and has a number of storylines ready to blossom. Patience, eager reader, as I am sure it all comes to pass soon. I felt this was a most informative read and I feel very sorry for Corby,regardless of whether people feel she is innocent or guilty. It’s not for me to judge, I am not privy to the prosecution evidence or the full knowledge the AFP may have, but this aside, McCauley’s straight talking is very compelling. The Sins of the Father is the second book in Jeffrey Archer’s highly acclaimed The Clifton Chronicles, Archer’s most ambitious work in four decades as an international bestselling author.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop