Flourish: The Extraordinary Journey Into Finding Your Best Self

Flourish: The Extraordinary Journey Into Finding Your Best Self

RRP: £16.99
Price: £8.495
£8.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Flourish details my travels over the past 15 years or so – my life, and my children’s lives once they appeared on the scene, so it’s somewhat of a personal tale, but also an investigation into the science and philosophy of flourishing: what it means to live a good life.

I particularly admire the way the book is structured, sectioned off in a way that one could read any chapter and walk away with plenty to chew on (although I had more favorable chapters, chapter 10 for example). The chapters don't necessarily build on each other, for the better. New Philosopher (Hobart, Australia)". Meetup. Archived from the original on 24 December 2019 . Retrieved 24 December 2019. I love that Antonia Case created Womankind and New Philosopher magazines. I regularly enjoy her contributions. I was so excited when I first heard about this book, and I was delighted with the audiobook version.

What's so brilliant and fresh: the big, best ideas of world philosophy beautifully explained, yes; but via the close-up story of Antonia's adventurous and fascinating (and very real) life. It's what I need: not apology or gloom but an authentic, inspiring appetite for getting our complicated, imperfect - and sometimes wonderful - lives to flower. You want to reach for your journal, get brave and join her." Can you honestly believe that such a willful and deliberate sin will not alter your decisions as Inquisitor’? I asked coolly. He sighed: ‘I suppose in a way it already has. In reviewing my cases recently, I noticed that they indi­cate a far more lenient view of fornication since I decided to indulge my­self. To me the liberality was so striking that I feared it might arouse suspi­cion in the Suprema. I suppose I shall have to revert to my sterner judg­ments.’ 12 The first magazine I remember was Dolly. It was a magazine for young girls in Australia, but it ceased print publication just under two years ago. I bought it while staying at my grandparents’ house in the country. With a title like ‘Flourish’, I was also expecting the stories of Antonia’s travels to feel joyous and exciting, but I didn’t get this sense at all, and it felt as though Antonia and her partner Zan spent most of their time drifting from place to place, passing judgement on almost everyone they encountered along the way. Zan also received only the occasional mention throughout the book, leaving the reader with no sense of their relationship, and no sense of the relationship they have with their four children. On the rare occasion when their children are mentioned, they’re referred to as “the children”, and there are no reflections in the book on relationships or parenthood at all with regard to the idea of “flourishing”, which felt like an odd oversight. Orne, M.T. (1972). On the simulating subject as a quasi-control group in hypnosis research: What, why, and how. In Hypnosis: Developments in Research and New Perspectives, ed, by E. Fromm & R.E. Shor,399-443. Chicago: Aldine-Atherton.

Venn, J. (1986). Hypnosis and the reincarnation hypothesis: A critical review and intensive case study. Journal of the American Society for Psychical Research80: 409-25. New Philosopher is an ad-free newsstand philosophy magazine distributed throughout the United States, Canada, the UK, Australia, Europe, Asia, and New Zealand, and produced by the team behind the magazine Womankind. [1] Both publications were co-founded and are edited by Zan Boag and Antonia Case. Aunque orientado como un libro de auto-ayuda, es mitad autobiografia, mitad ensayo filosófico. Es cierto que esta orientado a su busqueda por todo el mundo de su identidad pero no ofrece soluciones sino que abre más preguntas enlazando sus aventuras con los conceptos a lo largo de la historia de la filosofía que le inspiran estas. Es muy interesante ver como, a lo largo de los años en los que transcurre su periplo personal (el cual se entiende en el último capítulo que no ha acabado ni acabara) va acotando sus reflexiones de una manera muy natural. Se nota un aprendizaje y una evolución en su manera de afrontar el tema central del libro que no sería otro que buscar tu propia identidad y tu lugar en el mundo. Radiant and wise, Flourish is a book for our times, showing us all the way to live a rich and purposeful life." It was my first experience of ‘consumer dissatisfaction’ - the experience of a gap between my present environment, or reality, and some ‘fantasy land’ presented by the media. Suffice to say, the magazine did not leave me feeling happier for having read it.Although Tarazi found no evidence that Antonia ever existed, we should note that she did not even look for certain records. Tarazi argued that if Antonia’s story is true, it is highly unlikely that crucial records were ever made, or that they survived. Antonia claimed to be born on an isolated plantation on Hispaniola and baptized at a small local church whose name she could not recall. It is also unlikely that there would be records of her marriage by an unofficial priest at her husband’s home, or of her death by drowning off an unnamed Caribbean island. And there you have Lady Antonia Fraser. A woman unafraid to speak her mind; a woman who has achieved pretty much all she wanted to; a Companion of Honour; a writer whose latest book is as engrossing as its author; a mother, grandmother and great-grandmother; and a woman who has known great love. All she has to do is train that Derby winner. When we set up the business the last thing we wanted to do was to work from a lifeless corporate office, so we decided to also set up a tea atelier with a curated selection of books for sale. It means that tea is plentiful, ideas are flowing, and interesting people are always floating about.

Putnam, F.W. (1997). Dissociation in Children and Adolescents: A Developmental Perspective. New York: Guilford.We are bringing the best ideas we can from philosophy, sociology and economics, if we have to, to explain the world and your place in it.” Moreover, Tarazi noted that this case was impressive right from the start, both in its specificity of information and in the way it was re­vealed. Whereas Dilmen’s other regressions had a nebulous quality, ‘Anton­ia came through as a proud, independent woman who knew ex­actly who, what, and where she was’. 17 Dilmen’s hypnotist for the first set of sessions was a person born, raised, and edu­cated in Holland, with a good command of Dutch history. His pointed questioning of Antonia led to some interesting revelations early on. Tara­zi writes, Kampman, R., & Hirvenoja, R. (1976). Dynamic relation of the secondary personality induced by hypnosis to the present personality. In Hypnosis at its Bicentennial: Selected Papers, ed. byF.H. Frankel & H.S. Zamansky, 183-88. New York: Plenum. Magazines focused on alternatives". The Dissolve. Archived from the original on 15 December 2018 . Retrieved 12 December 2018. The secret of consciousness". New Philosopher. Archived from the original on 10 October 2018 . Retrieved 12 March 2014.

In Flourish you tell the story of how you quit your job and travelled across the world in search of your ideal self. How did you find writing about that experience? Did you know while you were travelling that you wanted to write it all down, or did it come about afterwards? Some of Dilmen’s (or Antonia’s) emotions during her regressions are noteworthy as well. They tend to strengthen the conviction that her re­sponses were not artifacts of suggestion and hypnotic compliance. For example, when she saw the building identified incorrectly by Spanish authorities as the one housing the Inquisition tribunal, Every image in Womankind magazine is empowering, and our readers regularly comment on this. Women are typically looking front on - they’re not pouting, or looking submissively down or away from the camera; they don’t have stilettos between their teeth or any of that ridiculous imagery you see in fashion advertising. I mean, if you made your pet dog behave like that for a photo shoot you’d call it ‘cruel’. But it’s OK for women?Had a director been working with a pregnant actor we find, pragmatically, that they would have filmed in a way that minimises the degree of post-production required.’ Tarazi, L. (1997). Under the Inquisition: An Experience Relived. Charlottesville, Virginia, USA: Hampton Roads. I would like to hear a more critical evaluation combating the idea that someone needs to have a raison d'être (reason to be, aka life's purpose) to truly flourish in life, as I don't truly prescribe to this idea. Your Afternoon". ABC Radio. 15 November 2019. Archived from the original on 4 March 2023 . Retrieved 24 December 2019. Antonia Case brings the clarity of years of editing Womankind and New Philosopher magazines to her new book, asking: what does it take to really flourish? Drawing on philosophers, writers, artists and the stories of ordinary people - as well as her own journey - she discovers that flourishing cannot exist within the cookie-cutter expectations of others. It must be found within." ― Clarissa Sebag-Montefiore, journalist for The New York Times and the Guardian

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop