The Missing Sister: Lucinda Riley (The Seven Sisters, 7)

£10
FREE Shipping

RRP: £20.00
Price: £10
£10 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The Missing Sister intrigued me from the start. Burma in the 1930s – nightclubs and the hot buzz of the city – I was there! Add to this the story of a girl finding out about her missing sister and then going on to search for her was a compelling premise. The various strands of the story built nicely, wove in and around the lyrical writing and really created a narrative I didn’t want to end.

Tad ir labi, ja kāds tomēr šo grāmatu nolemj tev uzdāvināt, jo tas, kas slēpjas grāmatas lappusēs gan šķiet pat ļoti saistošs. Shortly before the publication of The Missing Sister , Lucinda announced an eighth and final book in The Seven Sisters series, promising to answer the question at the heart of the story: Who is Pa Salt? Before her death, Lucinda was able to write several important passages and detailed notes on the story. She expressed a clear wish that her eldest son, Harry, should complete the series if the worst were to happen.

Lily, you are out of your mind!” Mary hissed as both of them struggled to fit under James’ cloak, “If James finds out—” Lily looked ahead of her, to where her old house was, just after the hill. She almost couldn’t remember what it looked like inside. She hasn't returned home since graduation. With the war and everything happening, she knew it wasn't safe for her father. In the end, it didn't matter anyway. J'ai une fois de plus été subjuguée par la plume de Dinah Jefferies qui nous propose avec La disparue de Birmanie une histoire prenante où nous allons suivre le combat d'une femme pour retrouver sa soeur disparue.

I loved the format of being with Belle in 1936 and Diana’s narrative moving forwards from 1921. As Belle becomes more caught up in the search for Elvira the past slowly unravels. The anxiety of fight or flight, of being hyper alert, is portrayed well and used to great effect. I had so much empathy for Diana and willed her to mental wellness. Belle has much strength in her quest to find the truth and I loved her spirit of adventure. They only have one clue – an image of a star-shaped emerald ring. The search to find the missing sister will take them across the globe – from New Zealand to Canada, England, France and Ireland – uniting them all in their mission to complete their family at last. Right from the outset I thought Belle was brave and courageous. Firstly to travel to the other side of the world on her own but it also showed how tenacious and how strong willed and purposeful she was. She had burning questions and had a strong desire for answers. At first she seemed like a fish out of water and that at every point she was met with opposition and a blank wall. For Belle is resolved to find out what did happen to her long lost sister all those years ago. Elvira was just three weeks old when she was taken from her parents garden in Rangoon. Suspicion fell upon her mother Diana with her father Douglas torn in two as to what happened. Since both upped and left Rangoon after the devastating event leaving Douglas' important job behind the enigma has remained just that. The Missing Sister is another excellent historical fiction novel by this extremely talented author. I have loved everything Dinah Jefferies has written, and this one didn’t disappoint. Strong characters, mystery, intrigue and danger all blended with fascinating details of Burma and surrounds. Always well written, I have no hesitation in highly recommending The Missing Sister to fans of historical fiction. I will leave you two alone. Don’t be too late. You know it’s dangerous at night and James will be worried.”Kiekvienas žmogus pats atsakingas už savo išgelbėjimą, kad ir kaip būtų pabrėžiama bendruomenės svarba.

I'd be interested in hearing from other readers who felt the same, I know it has been most well-received so far so I don't think mine is the popular opinion. Near the end of the story I cried. Not just a few tears wending their way down my face but big ugly tears with sobs. Perfect. I could clearly visualise the setting in my head, the bustling streets crowded with people going about their daily lives. The colourful and vibrant trees humming with wildlife. The villagers eking out an existence in the countryside and the stunning temples amidst jungle vegetation. But in contrast is the luxurious hotels and specific areas for the British where opulence is always on show. It seems they didn't ingratiate themselves with the locals rather instead they brought a slice of Britain to foreign shores and with that a secret that has been buried deep for so many years and one which Belle is determined to solve. We can now confirm that Atlas: The Story of Pa Salt will be published around the world in spring 2023, co-written by Harry Whittaker. Lucinda and Harry worked closely together on The Guardian Angels series for children. Harry writes: ‘Mum has passed on the secrets of the series, and I will keep my promise to her in sharing them with her loyal readers. Rest assured that in spring 2023, the whole world will know just who Pa Salt is and why he adopted the sisters.’ We thank those of you who have allowed us the space to grieve, and those who have donated so generously to Mary’s Meals . – Lucinda’s family But now that both of her parents are dead, going through their personal things, she discovered a newspaper clipping describing the day Elvira, only 3 weeks old at the time, vanished from the family garden in Rangoon.I receive thousands of reader letters a year, asking me to reveal the secrets of the series – where is the missing sister? Is Pa Salt actually alive? Who is Pa Salt and why did he adopt his daughters in the first place? The Seven Sisters (2014), a story taking Maia D’Aplièse from Lake Geneva to Rio de Janeiro, was followed by The Storm Sister (2015), embracing historical Norwegian figures such as Edvard Grieg and Henrik Ibsen. Then – with settings ranging from the Beatrix Potter-era Lake District, London Edwardian society and the Scottish Highlands, to Thailand, Australia, Spain, South America, New York and Kenya – came The Shadow Sister (2016), The Pearl Sister (2017), The Moon Sister (2018) and The Sun Sister (2019).

To the rest of the world Belle Hatton is an aspiring singer who's found herself in the beautiful country of Burma. The full truth is that Bella is seeking to fill the absence in her life: to find the sister she only recently discovered she had. It seems there are some who are none too pleased by her motivations and are keen to hinder her.Travelling out on the boat to Rangoon, Belle Hatton happens to chum up with Gloria de Clemente, a quixotic and charismatic woman around town. Belle has landed a job in the sizzling city of glorious colour and smells as a star performer.and through Gloria she comes to meet her brother Edward, who is a fixer and philanderer (given the chance). Yet he seems to the have the wherewithal to help progress Belle’s stage career. The seven sisters are gathered together for the first time, on board the Titan to say a final goodbye to the enigmatic father they loved so dearly.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop