The Sound of Being Human: How Music Shapes Our Lives

RRP: £16.99
Price: £8.495
£8.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The Sound of Being Human: How Music Shapes Our Lives" is a symphony of emotions, a powerful exploration of the intricate ways in which music intertwines with our souls. As an individual who finds solace and inspiration in the harmonies of life, this book resonated deeply with me. I used to think I was just being nostalgic for a sweet, geeky connection between father and daughter. Dad was trusting me to find out a statistic, like a football score, perhaps. But Dad and I weren’t rooting for players to score goals. We were rooting for players who had come together in the studio in the service of a piece of music – something stitched together from wisps of melodies, harmonies and rhythms, something that also, enchantingly, stitched us together. We were rooting for the two of us to be people for whom songs were extensions of their ordinary lives. Alexis Petridis Personal but universal, The Sound Of Being Human is a moving, funny and very smart exploration of what music does to you and how it does it Tracing the relationship between music, memory and emotions - Jude Rogers has created a finespun weave of heartfelt memoir, keen insights into the inner workings of pop music, merging into mind-expanding chunks of science. An absorbing and poignant book

The Sound Of Being Human Book Review: Jude Rogers – The Sound Of Being Human

Record Collector Her writing brims with the lively, engaged intelligence of someone who lives in her material An adductory gesture is also identified by the change in voice spectral energy it produces. Thus, a speech sound having an adductory gesture may be referred to as a "glottal stop" even if the vocal fold vibrations do not entirely stop. [12]

Yet, amidst the somber moments and the depths of grief, "The Sound of Being Human" carries a message of hope and resilience. Just as music has the power to evoke sorrow, it also has the capacity to uplift and heal. The stories of individuals who found solace, connection, and strength through music serve as a reminder of the transformative power of art. Starting in 1984, we meet a five-year-old Jude, saying goodbye to her father before he heads to the hospital for an operation. What was meant to be an absence from home for five days was made permanent when Jude’s father passed away only two days later, at the premature age of 33. A lot of the book is linked to this devastating experience of Jude losing her dad (and best friend) so young, and mourning all of the songs and music charts they could have shared together. These songs – including ‘Prince Charming’ by Adam and the Ants, ‘Buffalo Stance’ by Neneh Cherry and ‘Drive’ by R.E.M. – helped Jude form new musical memories, but it is these songs she would have loved to have shared with her dad, too. The science Jim Caviezel, who portrayed Jesus in Mel Gibson’s 2004 movie, “The Passion of the Christ,” plays Ballard in the movie.

David Whitehouse I've not read a warmer, deeper or truer evocation of the intense and unique connection between person and song. In untangling her own life, Jude Rogers helped me understand mine. This book is truly beautiful The choice of songs that make up each chapter are significantly varied to have at least one that anyone who reads the book. The themes however are universal, and the emotions and reactions described could apply to each and every one of us.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

The book is partly a deeply personal memoir, a comforting love letter to the five-year-old Rogers, who finds out her father Roy has just unexpectedly died, shortly after wondering what next week’s No 1 single will be. For Roy Rogers’ child, music would become both a balm and the springboard to a successful career.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop