Beezus and Ramona (Ramona Quimby Book 1)

£9.9
FREE Shipping

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Beezus and Ramona is a middle-grade novel, originally published in 1955, written by Beverly Cleary. It is the first book in the Ramona series and is a great choice for young children as a guided reading book, or for readers who are moving into chapter books.

Four-year-old Ramona has an imagination that makes her a menace to everyone around her, particularly her older sister, nine-year-old Beezus. Its DRA score of 34 and Lexile score of 780L ensure that it is a fitting choice for young readers who are developing their reading competency. Storyline and themes Sisterhood and family Susan Kushner: Ramona's former rival, who seemed perfect and was revealed to be boring. Ramona was very tempted to pull her reddish-brown curls in kindergarten to make them bounce. This is the only book in the series written from older sister Beezus' point of view. In the book, Beezus is struggling with her feelings for her annoying younger sister Ramona. a b c d "Beverly Cleary Biographical Essay". Educational Book and Media Assoc . Retrieved 2012-04-28.

Follow us on:

So, Beverly Cleary died a few weeks ago, and suddenly my news feeds were full of references to Ramona. I love children's literature and know most of the popular works well, so I was dismayed to realize that I had never read any of the Ramona books. This complete collection was available for Kindle, so I got it and read the whole thing from cover to cover. While reading, children can learn important life lessons such as empathy and understanding, as they follow the story of nine-year-old Beezus and her rambunctious four-year-old sister, Ramona. The book teaches kids to sympathize with gentle Beezus as she struggles with her little sister’s antics. Parent and child reading experience Beezus and Ramona: Beezus, the older sister, tries to have patience with her lively little sister, Ramona. Readers can empathize with their sibling bond and the challenges that come with it.

Books at the M and N levels are generally recommended for readers in the later elementary grades, typically around grades 3 to 4. These levels indicate that the book contains more complex vocabulary, longer sentences, and a slightly higher reading comprehension demand compared to lower-level books. As a parent, I was also moved by the Quimby's socioeconomic state. I love that they make do with less and how lovingly Cleary navigates Mr. Quimby's job loss, return to school to teach art, and the reality of not securing a fairy-tale ending of a job in the field he returned to school for. Wow. That is so rare, especially in children's books. Cleary is far more honest about reality, and rather than painting their struggles as a tragedy or anything pitiable, she brings beauty into it. The scene in the restaurant, when the older gentleman pays for their Whopperburger meal... gosh, it was so lovely. It was also heartening to see Ms. Quimby enter the workforce and taking charge of financially providing for the family while her husband struggled to find another job. They were true partners and supported each other, while having those real, hard conversations in their bedroom. It was also fun to see their parenting strategies in action, such as when they invited the girls to cook dinner for them as both a lesson and source of entertainment, haha. The Beezus and Ramona is an engaging read for kids aged approximately 7 to 10 years old, targeting readers within the 2nd to 5th-grade level. Kudos, Madam Cleary, for reminding me of the wonders of early independent reading. I will pass along this passion to Neo and anyone else I can. Ultimately, “Beezus and Ramona” offers a heartwarming portrayal of sibling relationships, showing both the challenges and joys of growing up with siblings. Educational lessonsBeezus and Ramona introduces us to Ramona, and as a mother, I feel better just knowing that someone - Beverly Cleary! - seemed to understand what it's like to parent a difficult child like Ramona. It made me feel not so bad about my own kids' misbehavior. :P I like that it highlights the relationship between two sisters - they love each other, of course, but they don't always like each other, and that's okay.

Part of the appeal of the series is watching Ramona grow up. Cleary's writing has been praised for its ability to show her main character maturing: "Throughout the series, Cleary depicts Ramona's emotional development as well as her adventures and misadventures." [1] Anita Silvey calls Ramona "Cleary's most developed characterization, a child at once ordinary and extraordinary." [2] Critical reception [ edit ] Mrs. Peabody: A lady who was Henry's neighbor; her dog Ranger was unfriendly to them. She called Henry "Harry Higgins" in Henry and the Clubhouse until Ramona corrected her.

Registered Account Representative Customers

The first book, Beezus and Ramona, appeared in 1955. The final book, Ramona's World, was published in 1999. Throughout the book, Cleary subtly paints an alternative picture of sisterhood in the happy relationship between Beezus's mother and her sister Beatrice (the aunt after whom Beezus was named). Beezus adores her Aunt Beatrice--she's a young, pretty, jovial schoolteacher that drives a yellow convertible; what's not to love?

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop