Orphans of the Tide

Orphans of the Tide

RRP: £7.99
Price: £3.995
£3.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

What other explanation could there be for the boy found alive inside of a whale on the Chapel's roof? The diary extracts interspersed throughout the book gave us a great opportunity to compare the grammar and other linguistic devices used to create tone and perspective.

This is a story about how good people can be led down bad paths, through fear, through hate, through manipulation. The City was built on a sharp mountain that jutted improbably from the sea, and the sea kept trying to claim it back. Again and again, what I felt while reading was as if the author (and by extension the editor and the publisher) of this book cared solely for how thing looked and little for what the could mean. An incredibly imaginative narrative that fills its reader with wonder and thrills while also not being afraid to share quieter moments of real heart.

I adored traversing the city's streets and getting in and out of multiple spots of bother, at break-neck speed, along with them. Apart from Lise's offstage death, there is little violence here; like Annemarie, the reader is protected from the full implications of events—but will be caught up in the suspense and menace of several encounters with soldiers and in Annemarie's courageous run as courier on the night of the escape. With a Percy Jackson style vibe to it, this fantasy-esque novel has adventure, friendship, a truly evil villain and plenty of *gasp* moments!

More than that I found the children to be not very distinct except for maybe Ellie who said "shut up" more than I would have ever been allowed to as a child, but I guess that's because she's an orphan. Ellie continues to be endlessly fascinating and we get a real insight into her mother which I have been looking forward and hoping for since we learnt how much like her Ellie is.Compared to sooo much other “fantasy” writing (especially that aimed at younger readers), ‘Orphans of the Tide’ is equally fresh and thrilling. It's a story about individuals going astray, but also about whole populations being lied to, whipped up into a fanatical mob capable of terrible atrocities, or led to war against complete strangers because they've been taught to fear them.

I was initially provided an Arc from the publisher via Netgalley however ended up reading my physical copy along with the audiobook. The story continues at similar levels of drama, the City’s religious authorities dragging the boy to prison and a death sentence, believing his body is home to The Enemy, the god they hold responsible for putting the world in its watery grave. Desde que el mundo se inundó, solamente queda La Ciudad, el último refugio, donde gobiernan los señores de las ballenas, y la Inquisición controla a la población, cuidando de que no vuelva El Enemigo, siempre en busca de un cuerpo que poseer para regresar y destruirlos a todos. To be perfectly honest, it’s been a very long time since I’ve been so successfully gripped by a novel of any kind. The orphaned daughter of Hannah Lancaster, the City’s inventor, Ellie makes it her mission to protect the boy, figure out his secret (and why he can manipulate the ocean with his emotions), and keep her own tragic backstory and deepest secret safe.I loved anyway it, I hope it will get a sequel because there is a possibility the enemy can still manipulate Ellie Lancaster. Finally, the blade punctured the skin, and Ellie almost lost her balance as it sank into the soft organs underneath. maybe because I have my own “voice” in there that sometimes talks to me the same way, like many of us do. Struan Murray (Author) Struan Murray is Scottish and grew up in Edinburgh, the youngest of a large, rowdy family of redheads. He wore a black sealskin greatcoat that spilled down to his ankles and a silver chain across his chest.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop