Fake Heroes: Ten False Icons and How they Altered the Course of History

Fake Heroes: Ten False Icons and How they Altered the Course of History

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

To be frank, I like the accessible language the author used to write the book. There is no pretension in how he makes his arguments, which I can appreciate. Engaging… Dunne argues cogently, coherently and from experience that to have choices in life you also have to have chances.’ The Observer, Book of the Day One of my all-time favourite books is David Aaronovitch’s Voodoo Histories, and on its surface Fake History seemed to offer something similar. The extraordinary memoir of the sporting icon, devoted friend and fundraising hero who has inspired the nation in his fight against MND This book dismantles the lazy and pernicious tropes of the past as Otto English sets out to redress the balance and reclaim truth from those who seek to pervert it.

Fake Heroes: Ten False Icons and How they Altered the C…

Otto English uses 10 commonly held 'facts' and uses each to expose many commonly held beliefs that are in fact false. His greater narrative is a warning that "false news" is dangerous and he cites Trump and Brexit as examples. I have finished reading “Fake History: Ten Great Lies and How They Shaped the World” by Otto English. As well as a portrait of a telepathic marriage of true minds, and a snapshot of a fretful island, this is a soaring lament and a tub-thumping tirade – for all that is being lost, for all that may yet be saved’ TELEGRAPH In the end, it felt like ranting of a disgruntled old-man by Otto English (Andrew Scott), expunging history while evolving into banality. I did find this book entertaining and informative. But I had two main problems with it. Firstly, I think the author is just a little too open in using the book to display his political opinions. Would I be saying this if I didn’t agree with all of them? Well, that is a speculative question. But I would say that I was more annoyed with it interrupting the flow of historical discussion.

I was really looking forward to this book because I loved Fake History, and for the most part this was an entertaining and informative sequel. However, as soon as I saw that there was a chapter on Captain Scott my heart sank a little bit, and I thought to myself "I bet he's only used the Huntford". Guess bloody what, I was right! An inspirational and life-affirming read. What Kevin Sinfield has achieved on and off the field is truly remarkable. His inspiring leadership and relentless focus on fundraising for MND shows how we should all strive to care more for each other’ Gareth Southgate Illustrated through the tactics of Queen Elizabeth I, Henry Kissenger, P T Barnum, and other famous figures who have wielded – or been victimised by – power, these laws will fascinate any reader interested in gaining, observing or defending against ultimate control. This is a well-researched and excellently written book on how supposed facts from history and our world are untrue and why humans are so keen to believe them. The desire to buy into enormous lies feeds our brain through its desire to belong. Through many examples over hundreds of years, Otto English (or Andrew Scott, his real name) convinces through asking the questions that he reminds us of at the end of the book:

Fake Heroes: Ten False Icons and How they Altered - WHSmith Fake Heroes: Ten False Icons and How they Altered - WHSmith

The grandly described Prologue is funny, albeit unintentionally. Its like a cross between Monty Python, and a 14 year old trying to copy Orwell. Although his snobbish contempt for his grandparents would embarrass the adolescent Pip from Great Expectations. Where as Andrew Scot is a full grown man (hes writing this under a fake name by the way. Who knows why? Your guess is as good as mine). I loved this book! I would definitely read more of his work. He did frequently go off on tangents. However he did warn readers that he wanted to not only reveal the true history behind the myths but also how those myths have impacted society today. I quite enjoyed them since they were interesting even if their relevance was not always immediately apparent. They might put other readers off depending on their taste. Also, his last line made me literally laugh out loud: "P.S. One of those stories I told you about Donald Trump in Chapter 10 is a deliberate lie - sorry"Overall, I enjoyed Fake History: Ten Great Lies and How They Shaped the World. It was easy to digest and had something of importance to say. In a world with so much information at our fingertips, it's more and more important to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff, and Otto English's book goes a long way in helping do just that. Mivel a másik oldal hülyéi úgyis hülyék, ezért nyugodtan szálljunk bele a mítoszaikba páros lábbal. Küldjük el Churchillt a búsba, például. Meggyőzni ezzel se fogjuk őket, de legalább szórakozunk rajtuk.

Fake Heroes: Ten False Icons and How they Altered the Course Fake Heroes: Ten False Icons and How they Altered the Course

A fun, authoritative and alternative history of the world that exposes some of the biggest lies ever told and how they've been used over time. In a diary that takes us behind the scenes of their middling ambition, Nothing But The Truth charts an outsider’s progress down the winding path towards practising at the Bar. By way of the painfully archaic traditions of the Inns of Court, where every meal mandates a glass of port and a toast to the monarch, and the Hunger Games-style contest for pupillage – which most don’t survive – here is the brilliant reality of being a frustrated junior barrister. Nem mondom, hogy a fenti metódus olyasvalami, amit én sose követtem el, mert de. Ugyanakkor megiscsak jó lenne hinni, hogy ennél többre vagyunk hivatva. Mert végtére is nem az a gond, hogy mások mást gondolnak, mint mi - hisz az ember sokféle. Hanem hogy hajlandóak-e ezek mellett a gondolatok mellett úgy érvelni, hogy a másikat is embernek tekintik. Mégpedig olyan embernek, akiről feltételezik, hogy respektálható céljai és motivációi lehetnek. Jó, hát igaz, ami igaz, ez a fajta hozzáállás meglehetősen energiaigényes, néha meddő is**. De az semmiképpen sem jó módszer, ha a másik oldal leegyszerűsítő populizmusára válaszul mi meg megteremtjük annak tükörképét: a mi leegyszerűsítő populizmusunkat. In this bold and provocative audiobook, Yuval Noah Harari explores who we are, how we got here and where we’re going.An inspiring and beautifully written story of hope and healing . . . We, her readers, are privileged to walk alongside her’ COUNTRYFILE Douglas Bader, JFK, Che Guevara, Mother Theresa, Andy Warhol, Coco Chanel, Captain Scott, Henry V, Thomas Midgeley and John Wayne. Winston Churchill was our greatest Prime Minister, Abraham Lincoln believed all men were created equal, the Royal Family is German, curry comes from India and many more lies! I do however have issues with the structure of the book. I found the chapters somewhat misleading in their titles. Each seem set up to discuss a certain historical myth, and yet only a small fraction of those chapters actually discuss what is stated that they are there for. I am aware that the author doesn’t owe me anything and my annoyance with this may be down to my Autism. But my experience in debating taught me the value of getting to the point. But in fairness some of the stories and arguments laid down by the author in those chapters were entertaining and informative. His discussion about food and language was absolutely fascinating and taught me a lot.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop