How to Cure a Ghost: Fariha Róisín

How to Cure a Ghost: Fariha Róisín

RRP: £10.99
Price: £5.495
£5.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

And 400,000 women were raped ( they were not known and never will be known … r emember us, like you’d remember white death). If Fariha Roisin does not want to be judged for how she looks than she needs to work on not judging others by the same stereotypes. but the most eye-opening were the likes of ‘on being an immigrant’, where she talks about her father, who was detained post-9/11, and ‘how to cure a ghost ii’, a reflection on modern Muslim life ( 1.

We read of her experiences of 9/11, her family’s experiences of wars undocumented on white media, of 1971. Hotjar sets this cookie to know whether a user is included in the data sampling defined by the site's daily session limit. A lot of it hit me really hard—Fariha Roisin is not afraid to pack a punch, but there are also some really beautiful poems about self-love and empowerment. Simultaneously, this compilation unpacks the contentious relationship that exists between Róisín and her mother, her platonic and romantic heartbreaks, and the cognitive dissonance felt as a result of being so divided among her broad spectrum of identities.

How to Cure a Ghost is a reminder that our bodies contain histories, and that every time an incident of flippant, casual racism/misogyny/queerphobia happens, it's an accumulation of war and abuse, rape and violence, that have been normalized intergenerationally. In other reviews I have seen curiosity about essays and nonfiction and I would echo these sentiments, hoping to see further exploration of writing styles. It also examines the intersection of queerness and being a femme of color while navigating a white world. The illustrations also add a nice touch and bring depth to certain themes discussed in the poetry collection.

I really hate being so judgmental about poetry because I’m sure this really means something to the poet, but it’s so disheartening to read poetry like this that has no understanding or appreciation of form or rhythm. Certains des poèmes étaient hyper poignants et émouvants, on ressent sa rage, sa haine, sa fierté, son amour.I’m being a bit demeaning in the first sentence since many poems are not like that, and she talks a lot about her complicated identity and relationship with colonialism. Over the summer, I saw a few Bookstagram accounts raving about early review copies of Fariha Róisín’s How to Cure a Ghost. This is a hard one to review because I think the topics and themes explored are really important (for example did you know that 400,000 women were raped in 1971 in the Liberation War of Bangladesh?

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop