The Whistleblower: The explosive thriller from Britain's top political journalist

£7.495
FREE Shipping

The Whistleblower: The explosive thriller from Britain's top political journalist

RRP: £14.99
Price: £7.495
£7.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The whistleblower, in American mythology, is often a lonely figure. Mark Felt met Bob Woodward in a dimly lit parking garage—his motives a mystery, largely, even to the reporter who interacted with him. Chelsea Manning acted alone, and bears the consequences that way, too. So, for the most part, did Edward Snowden. So did Daniel Ellsberg. So did Sherron Watkins. So did Mona Hanna-Attisha. So did so many others: insiders who summoned the courage to share what they knew with the outside world. Whistleblower, though, is one of several newly published memoirs—all of them written by women—that complicate that mythology and engage in more diffusive acts of revelation. These works are not exposing discrete instances of corruption or corporate malfeasance. Instead, they are exposing corrupt cultures—systems about which, like the traditional whistleblower, they have firsthand knowledge. They are bringing their authors’ lives to bear on the information they are sharing with the world. The writing of the memoir itself becomes integral to the act of whistleblowing. I have to say, I really didn't want to go to see this movie. I've seen enough 'shit happening to women movies' in my life, I could well imagine what it was going to be like. If you are a girl it will put you off sex. But still, read the book or see the movie, just so people like Obama do get that we care. The Whistleblower is not a memoir that will engage everyone, but if you’re after something different it’s certainly an interesting read.

This week, Fowler published a book, Whistleblower: My Journey to Silicon Valley and Fight for Justice at Uber. In one way, the memoir is an expansion of the 2017 blog post: It documents, in detail that is deeper and more gut-wrenching than a 2,900-word entry could allow, Fowler’s experiences at Uber. It recounts casual sexism and casual racism and, as Maureen Dowd put it in an article about Fowler’s original post, “the self-indulgent, adolescent Pleasure Island mentality of Silicon Valley.” But Whistleblower, despite its subtitle’s reference to Uber, is also a memoir in the classic sense. It is the story of how Fowler’s life was shaped by her time at Uber—but a story, too, of her fight for a life that would not succumb to the company’s influence. Courtney, Camerin (12 August 2011). "The Whistleblower". Christianity Today . Retrieved 7 October 2013. a b Porter, Lynette (12 September 2010). "More than a Movie: 'The Whistleblower's Heartfelt Plea for Greater Humanity". Pop Matters . Retrieved 7 October 2013.Whitman, Howard (17 February 2012). "Blu-ray Movie Review: The Whistleblower". Technologytell. Archived from the original on 3 July 2017 . Retrieved 2 April 2012. a b c Leong, Melissa (17 September 2010). "Star Rachel Weisz and subject Kathryn Bolkovac on detaching themselves from the events of The Whistleblower". The National Post. Archived from the original on 7 July 2012 . Retrieved 6 October 2013. Q: Original passport confiscated. Reissuance denied. Status: without a country. (c) Wow. This is how a person gets lost and damaged in the quagmire of half-assed laws and loopholes. a b c d e Zakarin, Jordan (1 October 2011). "Rachel Weisz In 'The Whistleblower': An Ordinary Woman Doing Extraordinary Things". The Huffington Post . Retrieved 5 October 2013. Prior to this book, my knowledge of the author had been limited to him being the dude from ITV who asked mostly awkward questions at the end of the daily government covid press conferences. Actually I have since found out, he has his own TV show and has also written several non-fiction books as well as having a stellar political journalist career to date. This however is his first foray into the world of fiction and, tell the truth, it's not half bad either!

We show what is just about permissible to show. We couldn't possibly include the three-week desensitisation period, when they burn the girls in particular places. We couldn't really capture the hopelessness of life these women are subjected to. [10]Vanaf 10 november 2011 draait in de bioscoop de film The Whistleblower, gebaseerd op dit indringende verhaal van Kathryn Bolkovac. Na het lezen van dit boek begrijp ik waarom het verfilmd is. Weisz had to separate herself emotionally from the atrocities depicted in the film. "It's something you learn," she said. "It's true between 'action' and 'cut,' and after 'cut' it's just not true anymore." [21] Bolkovac echoed Weisz's sentiments, adding that distancing oneself emotionally is a necessity when working on a police force. [21] However, the producers wanted the audience to be affected by scenes depicting brutal treatment of the women forced into prostitution, and the character of Raya was created to give a human face to the victims. [22] Much of the rape scene was cut after its brutality caused a viewer to faint during the film's first screening in Toronto. [21] Weisz responded: a b Sivertsen, Kim (5 March 2014). " "The Whistleblower" shown in Sarajevo and Mostar". The Nansen Center for Peace and Dialogue. Archived from the original on 15 August 2014 . Retrieved 26 June 2014.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop