The Diary of a Secret Tory MP: (Almost!) True Stories from the Heart of British Politics

£7.495
FREE Shipping

The Diary of a Secret Tory MP: (Almost!) True Stories from the Heart of British Politics

RRP: £14.99
Price: £7.495
£7.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

But you don’t have to let the book make you think, if you just read it for laughs you will keep turning the pages for pleasure.

The Diary of a Secret Tory MP – HarperCollins Publishers UK The Diary of a Secret Tory MP – HarperCollins Publishers UK

The bestselling Diary of a Secret Tory MP lifts the lid on one of the biggest periods of upheaval in recent memory (certainly since Nick Clegg broke George Osbourne's printer at the treasury) - the last twelve months of British politics. Morris started masquerading, too, as the Papua New Guinea Courier’s UK correspondent, and those columns – an outsider’s dry amusement cut with the howling indignation of the real UK citizen having to live through this clown show – are some of my favourite chronicles of our dark times. A personal trainer has unmasked himself as the man behind the popular Twitter account The Secret Tory.A modern day polymath, they enjoy bloodsports, destabilising liberal democracy and several non-executive directorships, including one at Southern Water where they claim to have been responsible for over three-hundred beach closures in 2022 alone. True Stories from the Heart of British Politics, which is really sprightly, droll and powered by deep disillusionment. Its success likely hinges on the author's ability to present information in an engaging way and organize the vast array of facts cohesively. He told the BBC: ‘It took on a life of its own almost immediately, I remember people in the gym laughing about the account without knowing it was me, and it was very nice to have my hunch confirmed that I could make people laugh. What has happened here as well as what has occurred in other countries (US, Brazil, Hungary, Italy…etc) suggests that electorates are often not especially concerned with fact or rational argument but rather tend to be swayed by braggadocio, bluster and bullshit.

The Diary of a Secret Tory MP: (Almost!) True Stories from

This is a comedy, not a behind the scenes expose of the machinations of the Parliamentary Tory Party.It’s probably easier reading, and easier to laugh, if you are a left of centre reader but the book still makes one think about the state of politics and wonder why the British electorate has let this lot run the country. I know exactly what he means: there is a perception of media and political elites as operating on a higher plane, and it’s absolutely warped, but I’m not sure it’s about London – isn’t it about class? The account initially took aim at the Conservatives over Brexit, but has since targeted the party over a wide range of topics, from food poverty to the energy crisis. Which isn't the author's fault, it's just hard to satirise the current crop of politicians when they are already such caricatures that they are seemingly impervious to satire.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop