If I Can't Have You

If I Can't Have You

RRP: £14.99
Price: £7.495
£7.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Levin’s prose is fierce and original - not once did my attention stray. It fairly bristles with anger - almost everyone in Constance’s life is subject to her cynical scrutiny, but this brings laughs too, especially when she regales us with details about her fellow receptionists and Linda and Alison. So beautifully written, such a devastatingly compelling story… I can honestly say it’s one of the best books I’ve ever read – it is without shadow of a doubt, EASILY up there with Girl On a Train and Eleanor Oliphant.’– Ruth JonesSamuel, the day we met I knew I’d finally found what I’ve been waiting for.You.Happiness, at last.Then you left me.And now I am alone.Everyone I love leaves in the end.But not this time.I’m not giving up on us.I’m not giving up on you.When you love someone, you never let them go.That’s why for me, this is just beginning. If I Can’t Have You by Charlotte Levin – eBook Details As we move into the story there is a clever twist and a central dilemma which might alter the way that we see Janet. The dilemma is one of those which starts small and grows and grows..and I just wanted to shout out to Janet RUN!! The dilemma and the consequences of Janet’s response sent the plot into another gear and at this point it became extremely difficult to put the book down and I think many of us had to sprint to the end. Having felt such an overwhelming sense of pity for Janet I was then gripped by a deep unease and felt a little uncomfortable..

When the sexy Dr Stevens begins to show interest, her whole world changes. They begin an exciting affair, Constance is in Love for the first time. He whispers sweetness to her ear, he's smitten... right?I loved Janet who seems to be carrying so much on her shoulders. She's a brilliant creation, torn between doing the right thing and not caring because she doesn't really have anything to live for. Although this is a heartbreaking book in many ways, there is dry humour too and Levin does a really great job at conveying Janet's inner feelings, especially about Colin, whilst simultaneously giving the reader the fuller picture of Janet's rather cheerless life. I think that this book would make an excellent reading group choice. There is so much food for debate not least Janet’s decisions, her marriage and her choices.. I've been looking forward to Charlotte Levin's second book since…well…since finishing her first one, and it was worth waiting for. In fact, I think it's now my favourite of the two. I implore you to read (or listen to) it. It's so many things - dark, sweet, odd, moving, credible, tender, beautifully written & at times funny' - Marian Keyes, author of Again, Rachel

After a night out drinking with her friends she wakes up the next day in hospital having survived a horrific train crash and saved the life of a little girl but with no memory of the event. Thrust into the public eye and seen as a heroine, Janet slowly starts to regain memories of that night and it’s not quite what everyone is led to believe. PDF / EPUB File Name: If_I_Cant_Have_You_-_Charlotte_Levin.pdf, If_I_Cant_Have_You_-_Charlotte_Levin.epub This is a book that touched so many different emotions in me. One minute I detested Constance, the next I loved her. I’ve winced, gasped, laughed and cried throughout the reading of this book. It’s definitely one of my favourites of 2020 and I can tell you that Charlotte Levin is certainly someone to look out for.This is an immersive novel and I enjoy how the author matches the weather to moods to highlight situations. I love the ending, it feels absolutely right. The writing is crisp and edgy. The characters are anxious, tormented, and flawed. And the plot is a tense, unpredictable tale full of twists, turns, revelations, insecurities, deception, grief, manipulation, lies, and tragedy. Constance is working as a receptionist at a medical practice when she meets Samuel Stevens, a self-obsessed egomaniac who soon uses Constance exclusively to his own ends. To Constance, the relationship is so much more meaningful than it would otherwise be, as her current circumstances have left her vulnerable and raw. So begins an obsession that will lead Constance into the darkest recesses of human emotion. When a lonely young woman, Constance Little, develops an infatuation with Samuel, the new doctor at the private medical centre where she works, she is thrilled when he reciprocates. But when he ends their brief and passionate affair, the emotional wounds from her past come fully to the fore, turning her love into a dangerous obsession. The reductiveness of its premise - designed, no doubt, by the publishers to appeal to readers’ tireless appetite for thrills, is both a pity and a mistake. A mistake because this is not in essence a traditional psychological thriller; a pity because there is a danger that it will be overlooked by others. And that would be a shame, because this is a smart, compelling and utterly fascinating novel that lingers.

This character driven, dark story is told from Constance's viewpoint. Even though her behaviour was frenetic and disturbing and she clearly had some issues, it was difficult to not feel for her. The author cunningly made good use of this making me feel very torn, with mixed emotions. This is a raw and compelling story with many thrills and it is also one of deep provocation. If I Can’t Have You is a remarkable début. WOW! It's been two days since I finished this book, and I am still feeling a huge book hangover. I love books centered around love and obsession and I just found my favorite one. quote "It's funny, grief, isn't it? How you die with them. Whoever you were before has gone +... "unquote) If I Can’t Have You is a psychological thriller about a woman who becomes obsessed with her ex-boyfriend after he begins dating someone else. Colin was a caricature, stereotypical, a villain. His character wasn’t nuanced or complex which made Janet’s situation (and how she found herself there) even more baffling. Mia and Robbie were vacuous and the fast and furious dynamics between the couples seemed inauthentic given the circumstances of how they all met.

Charlotte, your book had me uptight, angry, sad and conflicted all at once. You have an amazing way of pulling us in and keeping us with you right till the end. Everything you'd want in an amazing read.

Goodreads Librarians are volunteers who help ensure the accuracy of information about books and authors in the Goodreads' catalog. The Goodreads Libra Goodreads Librarians are volunteers who help ensure the accuracy of information about books and authors in the Goodreads' catalog. The Goodreads Librarians Group is the official group for requesting additions or updates to the catalog, including: Clad in a meringue of taffeta, tulle and blood, Constance steps onto the underground in somewhat of a daze. As the reader we are instantly drawn into her world and what happened to leave her sandwiched between a hipster and a mother with her child in a bridal gown on a train. The child was in awe of Constance's attire exclaiming "Look at the princess, mummy!" whilst pawing the rustling fabric as other passengers possibly declared her somewhat insane. In that moment, we feel her pain despite not yet knowing what it is. Has she been jilted? Or is she a runaway bride? If I Can’t Have You Book has been translated into seven languages and is available in English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and Dutch. Book Editions Levin was born and raised in New York City. She graduated from Syracuse University with a degree in English before moving to Los Angeles to pursue a career in television. Levin currently lives in Los Angeles with her husband and two children. My favourite character would have to be the irascible Edward. And his inscription in the copy of "Wuthering Heights" he gave to Constance for her birthday brought tears to my eyes...

They all stared" it held my attention as we travelled a journey with main character Constance who writes a letter to Samuel explaining her thoughts and actions. She works as a receptionist at a doctors' surgery and falls head over heels with the new recruit. He(Samuel) bubbles along through life merrily using and abusing women for sex and dropping them as and when he chooses. She does not see his treatment of her as horrific and instead chooses to see him as the object of her love and devotion and refuses to walk away from him, as so many people have done in her life, who supposedly loved her. To those readers who come for a psychological thriller I say stay with this book, and it will repay you in far greater riches. To those who overlook it as not sounding quite serious enough, I urge you just to come. A rare five stars from me. In some ways IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU was too literary for me as I prefer my thrillers to be rollercoaster rides of explosive twists and excitement. I guess a lot of this book missed the mark with me as I felt it was meant to be more of an exploration of sorts...into what, I'm not sure. But I can still appreciate part of the idea if not the entire concept. But John’s death is only the beginning of Constance’s problems. It soon becomes clear that someone close to her knows more about John’s death than they are letting on, and they will stop at nothing to keep Constance from learning the truth.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop